Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Picnic Anyone?

I have a hard time throwing things away if I think I have a purpose for them. I have saved all our jeans that have worn out over the years with the intent of making jeans quilts with them. I think I have only ever gotten one made. Just recently I came up with the idea of making picnic blankets. I found a shop that sells heavier canvas-type fabric at a super good price (some of it is only $3 a yard for 54"wide fabric). These sew up really quickly and because of the heaviness of the jean blocks and the material for the back there is no need to put a batting in the middle. So far in the last 3 weeks or so I have made 3 of them. I have been giving them as wedding presents but am entertaining the idea of possibly selling some. I still have 4 plastic tote tubs full of jeans! Gotta use them up! When I thought of starting the first one, it was before Kim left for her mission. She gave me the idea of putting the bandana fabric on the blocks to make them look like patches. I didn't do it on the first blanket I made but have on the next two and quite like the look it gives.

I think we all could use a picnic blanket and take time out from our busy lives to just go enjoy a lunch hour or afternoon outside relaxing a little bit. How long has it been since we have done that?

1 comment:

  1. I love the blanket you made me for graduation -- I call it my "nap blanket" because it is perfect for taking a nap under!

    ReplyDelete